Each and every day our faculty works hard to generate important scholarly research and bring that research to life for students and practitioners in ways that connect theories to practice. These are active and engaged scholars who add valuable ideas to the public administration dialogue, inspire others in the discipline, serve the University and the broader public, and through their work, help us all confront pressing social challenges. This is impressive and important work. It makes a difference, and it garners notice in ways that reflect great credit upon us all.
In the last five weeks, particularly important recognition has been bestowed upon nine of our faculty members. That School faculty members would receive important recognition is not surprising; it is their habit. But this impressive string of awards and honors within such a short time-frame is particularly noteworthy. Please join us in celebrating the accomplishments of our impressive faculty.
- Dr. Charles “Chuck” Epp was named one of five new University Distinguished Professors by the KU Provost’s Office.
- Distinguished Professor Rosemary O’Leary was selected to receive the American Political Science Association’s 2016 John Gaus Award and Lectureship.
- Dr. Alfred Ho has earned promotion to Full Professor by the promotion and tenure committee, as approved by KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little.
- Drs. Jacob Fowles and Rachel Krause have each been awarded tenure and earned promotion to the rank of Associate Professor.
- Dr. Heather Getha-Taylor received the Steeples Award for Service to Kansas for her contributions to leadership development teaching and research from the KU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Dr. Shannon Portillo received the Schowen Undergraduate Research Mentor Award from KU’s Center for Undergraduate Research.
- Dr. John Nalbandian has been named a recipient of the Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) 2016 Regional Leadership Award.
- Dr. Holly T. Goerdel gave the annual Monroe-Paine Distinguished Lecture at the Truman School of Public Affairs at University of Missouri.
A strong, productive, and committed faculty is at the heart of what makes any academic unit great. This recent avalanche of awards and honors for our faculty provides an important slice of the evidence for why our program continues to stand as #1.