The KU MPA program is accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA).
Through coursework and upon graduating our program, all students should have achieved the NASPAA Competencies and be able to effectively:
- Lead and Manage in Public Governance;
- Participate in and contribute to the public policy process;
- Analyze, synthesize, think creatively, solve problems, and make decisions;
- Articulate and apply public service perspectives; and
- Communicate and interact productively with a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry
Moreover, the KU MPA program has established its own learning objectives associated with each outcome and identified the core courses in which each are taught.
Of the 39 students who were admitted and enrolled for the 2015-2016 academic year, 33% graduated within 2 years; 56% graduated within 3 years; and 74% graduated within 4 years. The total percentage of students who completed the program is 87%. This percentage rate should be viewed in the perspective of the small number of students admitted and enrolled. Of the students who did not complete, some moved away, had personal obligations that took precedence, or found that the program was not a right fit for them.
As an example of where our graduates are employed, here is the information for MPA students who graduated in the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Total number of graduates: 36
- Federal government: 3
- State government: 5
- Local government: 15
- Government outside the U.S.: 2
- Nonprofit (domestic): 4
- Nonprofit (internationally-oriented): 0
- Private sector (research/consulting): 1
- Private sector (not research/consulting): 3
- Obtaining further education: 1
- Military service: 0
- Retired: 1
- Unknown: 1