The School of Public Affairs and Administration offers both academic and workplace-based professional development education to strengthen the provision of public services in society.
- We are #1: Ranked best graduate school in the nation in City Management and Urban Policy. (2016 US News and World Report Best Graduate Schools).
- We are among the top six graduate schools in the nation in Public Management Administration (2016 US News and World Report Best Graduate Schools).
- We educate managers. The KU MPA program provides top-notch education to those who seek to manage at the local, city, county, state, national or international levels, or in the nonprofit sector.
- We provide award-winning signature professional development programs: Kansas Certified Public Manager Program, Emerging Leaders Academy, Law Enforcement Leadership Academy, Supervisory Leadership Training, along with custom courses and annual training events, including the Inspiring Women in Public Administration Conference, National Forum for Black Public Administrators' Executive Leadership Institute and the Kansas City/County Management Conference.
- We keep our eye on the trends and are continuously developing new degree and certificate programs, courses and opportunities that will prepare a wider range of students to pursue public and nonprofit sector leadership and address contemporary problems.
Pictured (at right): H. George Frederickson, Distinguished Professor Emeritus and Rosemary O'Leary, Distinguished Professor. Photo by Nick Krug of the Lawrence Journal World.
Earning your Master of Public Administration in the School of Public Affairs and Administration
The mission of the School of Public Affairs & Administration of the University of Kansas is to educate exceptional public professionals and generate thought leadership that provides solutions to the most pressing global and community challenges by advancing the public good, democratic values, and ethical public management practices. Toward those goals, the faculty and staff are dedicated to:
- superb graduate, undergraduate and professional programs;
- cutting-edge research;
- leadership in both the academic and practicing communities of public administration;
- collaboration with intellectual partners within and outside of the university;
- international outreach and programs; and
- value-added consultation, professional development and continuing education.